1. Kiran K. Kolathur*©, Pallavi Sharma*, Nagesh Y. Kadam, Navneet Shahi, Ane Nishitha, Kavita Babu©, and Shravan Kumar Mishra©; Pre-mRNA splicing function of the ubiquitin-like protein Hub1/UBL-5 in Caenorhabditis elegans. FEBS Letters 2023 Feb 13; 597(3): 448-57. https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1873-3468.14555
1. Vandita D. Bhat©, Jagannath Jayaraj and Kavita Babu©; RNA and neuronal function: the importance of post-transcriptional regulation. Oxford Open Neuroscience 2022 Jul 07; Vol. 1 (Invited Review article). https://academic.oup.com/oons/article/doi/10.1093/oons/kvac011/6633706
2. Pratima Pandey©, Gazaldeep Kaur and Kavita Babu©; Crosstalk between neurons and glia through G-protein coupled receptors: Insights from Caenorhabditis elegans. Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science 2022 Nov 07 193(1): 119-144 (Invited Review article). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1877117322000679?via%3Dihub
3. Kavita Babu©; Perceptions on preprints, peer review and publication charges. Current Science 2022 Nov 25; 123(10): 1187 (Editorial). https://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/123/10/1187.pdf
1. Nagesh Y. Kadam©, Sukanta Behera, Sandeep Kumar, Anindya Ghosh-Roy and Kavita Babu©; The G-protein coupled receptor SRX-97 is required for concentration dependent sensing of benzaldehyde in Caenorhabditis elegans. eNeuro 2021 Jan 04; 8(01):ENEURO.0011-20.2020. https://www.eneuro.org/content/8/1/ENEURO.0011-20.2020.long
bioRxiv Preprint: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.04.894824v1.
This work was highlighted by the DBT/Wellcome Trust India Alliance website at https://www.indiaalliance.org/news/how-animals-smell
2. Pratima Pandey*©, Anuradha Singh*, Harjot Kaur, Anindya Ghosh-Roy and Kavita Babu©; Increased dopaminergic neurotransmission results in ethanol dependent sedative behaviors in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genetics 2021 Feb 01; 17(2):e1009346. https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1009346
bioRxiv Preprint: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/779405v1
This work was highlighted through a write-up by Preethi Ravi at the DBT/Wellcome Trust India Alliance website https://www.indiaalliance.org/news/when-worms-went-tipsy
The first authors talk about their work to Biopatrika at https://biopatrika.com/2021/03/19/interview-ethanol-sedative-behaviors-caenorhabditis-elegans/
3. Pratima Pandey©, Umer S. Bhat, Anuradha Singh, Aiswarya Joy, Varun Birari, Nagesh Y. Kadam and Kavita Babu©; Dauer formation in C. elegans is modulated through AWC and ASI dependent chemosensation. eNeuro 2021 Apr 14; 8(02):ENEURO.0473-20.2021. https://www.eneuro.org/content/8/2/ENEURO.0473-20.2021.long
4. Anuradha Singh, Kavita Babu© and Pratima Pandey©; Ethanol Induced Sedative Behavior: An assay to investigate increased dopamine signaling in C. elegans (protocol). Bio-protocol 2021 Jul 05; 11(13). https://bio-protocol.org/e4083
5. Umer S. Bhat*, Navneet Shahi*, Siju Surendran* and Kavita Babu©; Neuropeptides and Behaviors: How Small Peptides Regulate Nervous System Function and Behavioral Outputs (invited article for the research topic "Regulation of Synaptic Structure and Function"). Front. Mol. Neurosci. 2021 Dec 02; 14:786471. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnmol.2021.786471/full
1. Ashwani Bhardwaj*, Pratima Pandey* and Kavita Babu©; Control of locomotory behavior of Caenorhabditis elegans by the immunoglobulin superfamily protein RIG-3. Genetics 2020 Jan 01; 214(1): 135-45. https://www.genetics.org/content/214/1/135
2. Kavita Babu©; Sticking and signalling at the synapse: two sides of the same coin? Resonance 2020 Mar; 25(3): 419-29. https://www.ias.ac.in/article/fulltext/reso/025/03/0419-0429 This is an invited pedagogical piece for a special issue of Resonance on Women in Science.
3. Umer S. Bhat© and Kavita Babu©; Neuropeptides: the slower neurotransmitters. Resonance 2020 Dec; 25(12): 1741-52. https://www.ias.ac.in/article/fulltext/reso/025/12/1741-1752. This is a pedagogical piece.
1. Yogesh Dahiya©, Saloni Rose, Shruti Thapliyal, Shivam Bhardwaj, Maruthi Prasad and Kavita Babu©; Differential regulation of innate and learned behavior by CREB1/CRH-1 in Caenorhabditis elegans. The Journal of Neuroscience 2019 Oct 2; 39(40): 7934-46. https://www.jneurosci.org/content/39/40/7934.long
bioRxiv Preprint: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2019/01/04/508986
2. Shruti Thapliyal© and Kavita Babu©; C. elegans Locomotion: Finding Balance in Imbalance (invited review for the special edition of a Springer book). Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 2019 Jan 13; 1112: 185-96. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-981-13-3065-0_14
3. Kavita Babu© and Sandhya P Koushika©; Sydney Brenner (1927-2019). Current Science 2019 Jun 25; 16(12): 2106-09. https://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/116/12/2106.pdf
4. Vina Tikiyani© and Kavita Babu©; Claudins in the brain: Unconventional functions in neurons. Traffic 2019 Nov 01; 20(11): 807-14. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tra.12685
1. Shruti Thapliyal, Amruta Vasudevan*, Yongming Dong*, Jihong Bai, Sandhya P. Koushika and Kavita Babu©; The C-terminal of CASY-1/Calsyntenin regulates GABAergic synaptic transmission at the Caenorhabditis elegans neuromuscular junction. PLoS Genetics 2018 Mar; 14(3): e1007236. http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1007263
2. Shruti Thapliyal, Shruthi Ravindranath and Kavita Babu©; Regulation of glutamate signaling in the sensorimotor circuit by CASY-1A/Calsyntenin in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 2018 Apr 01; 208(4): 1553-64. http://www.genetics.org/content/208/4/1553.long
3. Ashwani Bhardwaj*, Saurabh Thapliyal*, Yogesh Dahiya and Kavita Babu©; FLP-18 functions through the G-protein coupled receptors NPR-1 and NPR-4 to modulate reversal length in Caenorhabditis elegans. The Journal of Neuroscience 2018 May 16; 38(20): 4641-54. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/38/20/4641.long
Mentioned on "This week in the Journal" by Teresa Esch. The Journal of Neuroscience 2018 May 16; 38(20) i.
Press Release from The Journal of Neuroscience for this work:
4. Pallavi Sharma*, Lei Li*, Haowen Liu, Vina Tikiyani, Zhitao Hu© and Kavita Babu©; The Claudin-like protein, HPO-30, is required to maintain LAChRs at the Caenorhabditis elegans neuromuscular junction. The Journal of Neuroscience 2018 Aug 08; 38(32): 7072-87. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/38/32/7072.long
5. Shruti Thapliyal and Kavita Babu©; Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced Convulsion Assay to Determine GABAergic Defects in Caenorhabditis elegans (invited protocol). Bio-protocol 2018 Sep 05; 8(17). https://bio-protocol.org/e2989
6. Vina Tikiyani, Lei Li, Pallavi Sharma, Haowen Liu, Zhitao Hu and Kavita Babu©; Wnt secretion is regulated by the tetraspan protein HIC-1 through its interaction with Neurabin/NAB-1. Cell Reports 2018 Nov 13; 25(7): 1856-71. https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(18)31642-5
7. Raunaq Deo*, Manish S. Kushwah*, Sukrut C. Kamerkar, Nagesh Y. Kadam, Srishti Dar, Kavita Babu, Anand Srivastava and Thomas J. Pucadyil©; ATP-dependent membrane remodeling links EHD1 functions to endocytic recycling. Nature Communications 2018 Dec 5; 9(1): 5187. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07586-z
1. Pratima Pandey, Ashwani Bhardwaj and Kavita Babu©; Regulation of WNT Signaling at the Neuromuscular Junction by the Immunoglobulin Super-Family Protein RIG-3 in Caenorhabditis elegans . Genetics 2017 Jul 01; 206(3): 1521 -34. http://www.genetics.org/content/206/3/1521.long
Kavita's Earlier Publications
1. Babu, K., Hu, Z., Chien, S-C., Garriga, G. and Kaplan, J.M.© (2011) The Immunoglobulin super family protein RIG-3 prevents synaptic potentiation and regulates Wnt signaling. Neuron Jul 14; 71(1):103-16.
2. Hu, Z.*, Pym, E.C.G.*, Babu, K.*, Vahlishan Murray, A.B.* and Kaplan, J.M.© (2011) A neuropeptide-mediated stretch response links muscle contraction to changes in pre-synaptic release of neurotransmitter. Neuron Jul 14; 71(1):92-102.
3. Babu, K.©, Bahri, S., Alphey, L. and Chia, W. (2005) Bifocal and PP1 interaction regulates targeting of the R-cell growth cone in Drosophila.Dev Biol Dec 15; 288(2): 372-86.
4. Babu, K., Cai, Y., Bahri, S., Yang, X. and Chia, W.© (2004) Roles of Bifocal, Homer and F-actin in anchoring Oskar to the posterior cortex of Drosophila oocytes. Genes Dev. Jan 15; 18(2): 138-43.
5. Helps, N.R.*, Cohen, P.T.©, Bahri, S.M., Chia, W. and Babu, K.* (2001) Interaction with protein phosphatase 1 Is essential for bifocal function during the morphogenesis of the Drosophila compound eye. Mol Cell Biol. Mar: 21(6): 2154-64
* indicates equal contribution and
© indicates corresponding author/s